Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I learned to knit from my paternal Grandmother. I was probably around 10 to 12 years old. She gave me a little craft kit with plastic needles and such for a birthday gift. Later on I learned to crochet from my other Grandmother and her sister. Just a simple double crochet and a granny square. I was probably about 13. I made an afghan out of acrylic yarn in browns, beiges, tans, white, and the like. Just one huge granny square. I still have it, and in winter it graces our bed. It brings back lots of fond memories.

As time has progressed, I've always considered myself a knitter and crocheter, but never really grew in my skills. Last spring I had what seemed like an epiphany - there was so much more out there to learn! I became intensely interested in wool and spinning and so many other things I'd never held an interest in before. This past month I learned to knit socks. I had always scoffed at the idea in times past, but now I'm totally hooked on it! It's so much fun. I also knit a shawl (simple garter stitch in Patons Divine yarn) for a friend's upcoming birthday. Recently I also washed my first fleece. Then dyed some of it with Easter Egg dye, carded it, and am in the process of spindle-spinning it.
I've also begun making beaded stitch markers and hemp jewelry, and knitting on Knifty Knitter looms. And I really want to try some polymer clay projects. Making things is so fun and addicting!

1 comment:

KnitterBunny said...

Welcome to the blogiverse. Be scared. :)

I'm glad that you have a blog too. Now I can come read yours like you come read mine. Yea!